Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory - Massachusetts
Primary Phase: 1714
The Holt Hill Farmhouse, as built in 1714 or shortly thereafter, was five bays wide, two-and-one-half stories in height and faced south. Situated on a spectacular site, the highest point in Essex County, the house retains its original central chimney and has well preserved period interiors, including exposed framing in the east room. The house was extended to the rear several times, first by the erection of a lean-to, and then by the addition of an existing outbuilding that was drawn up and attached to the northwest part of the lean-to. The present owners added a sun porch with study above at the center of the facade
Nicholas Holt III (1683-1756), whose grandfather received the original land grant from the town of Andover, was the owner at the time that the house was built. The house has remained in the hands of Holt family descendants except for the period between 1876 and 1917. Six hundred and ninety-five acres of surrounding land were donated to the Trustees of Reservations in 1940 by the Ward family.
Miles, D H, and Worthington, M J, 2005
The Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory provides cutting-edge commercial dendrochronological services to homeowners, architectural historians, and cultural resource managers. READ MORE
Oxford Tree-Ring LaboratoryProprietors
25 E. Montgomery St.
Baltimore, MD 21230