Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory - Massachusetts
East Side: Spring 1711, Winter 1712/13
West Side: Summer 1724
The original part of the Haskell House consists of the east rooms and chimney bay, which were built on this site with integral lean-to in 1712. A second range of rooms that were built on another site in 1724, also with integral lean-to, was drawn up and attached to the west side of the chimney bay at some point. Clues that the addition was a pre-existing structure are the side-by-side framing at the junction of the two frames and the fact that the pitch of the roof of the west frame was slightly lower than that of the east frame, requiring that adjustments be made to create a roof with continuous slope across the building. Late nineteenth century photos show the lean-to roof raised from its original height. The lean-to was raised again in the early twentieth century and is now nearly two stories high.
The house was built, apparently, by Robert Haskell, who received the land from his maternal grandfather, Thomas West. The property remained in the hands of Haskell descendants until the early nineteenth century.
Miles, D H, and Worthington, M J, 2005
The Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory provides cutting-edge commercial dendrochronological services to homeowners, architectural historians, and cultural resource managers. READ MORE
Oxford Tree-Ring LaboratoryProprietors
25 E. Montgomery St.
Baltimore, MD 21230