Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory - Massachusetts
Felling Date: Winter 1683/4
According to Leith Smith, Project Archaeologist for the Central Artery/Tunnel Project, the timber sampled "came from a wooden crib that was excavated at the Mill Creek Site in downtown Boston, essentially underneath Haymarket (Blackstone Street). The site was investigated as a contingency as part of the Central Artery/Tunnel Project. Mill Creek served as an outlet for Boston's Mill Pond that was where the Fleet Center now sits. A series of tidal mills were present at the upstream, pond end of Mill Creek beginning as early as 1643. The pond was filled around 1826. The creek was lined with a hodgepodge of stone and timbers. The cribwork is believed to have served as a support for a bridge that passed over the creek in the area of present day Hanover St."
Miles, D H, Worthington, M J, and Grady, A A, 2002 "Development of Standard Tree-Ring Chronologies for Dating Historic Structures in Eastern Massachusetts Phase II", Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory unpublished report 2002/6
The Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory provides cutting-edge commercial dendrochronological services to homeowners, architectural historians, and cultural resource managers. READ MORE
Oxford Tree-Ring LaboratoryProprietors
25 E. Montgomery St.
Baltimore, MD 21230