Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory - Massachusetts
Front Range Felling dates: Spring 1735, Winter 1735/6, and Spring 1736
Rear Ell Felling dates: Spring 1736, Winter 1736/7, and Spring 1737
((a) Joist 1736(¼C); Purlins 1736C, 1734(17¼C); Stud reused as stair newel 1697(C); Ex situ joists (0/2); Reused studs (0/3); Pine rafters (0/5); Pine tiebeam (0/1); (b) Rafters 1736(6¼C, ¼C); Joists (2/4) 1736(8C), 1713; End girt 1736(C); Tiebeam 1736(C); Partition plank 1735(¼C); Corner post 1733; Collar (0/1). Site Master> 1654-1736 HCLx1 (t = 6.0 BCC; 5.8 EFH; 5.3 DVR).
The earliest part of the Hancock-Clarke House, constructed in 1737-1738, consists of a two-and-one-half story gable roofed south part and a two story gambrel roofed ell to the north, which spans the easternmost two thirds of the south part. The house, virtually unchanged from its original construction, includes well-crafted woodwork of Georgian design in the south part. The north part received a simpler treatment in keeping with the utilitarian functions it housed. The house was revered and preserved because of its associations with the beginning of the American Revolution on April 19, 1775 as the home of patriot minister, Jonas Clarke, until the late nineteenth century when the owner threatened to demolish it. The Lexington Historical Society, founded in 1886, purchased the house and moved it off its original site to save it in 1896. Since 1897, the house has been a museum. In 1974, the house was returned to its original site after the property was bequeathed to the Lexington Historical Society. In 1975 an addition was built north of the ell to house a reception and exhibit space.
Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory Unpublished Report 2007/20
Link to the Lexington Historical Society page for the Hancock-Clarke House here.
The Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory provides cutting-edge commercial dendrochronological services to homeowners, architectural historians, and cultural resource managers. READ MORE
Oxford Tree-Ring LaboratoryProprietors
25 E. Montgomery St.
Baltimore, MD 21230