Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory - Virginia
Felling Date: Winter 1845/6
Rafters (7/8) 1845(C2), 1833, 1822, 1801, 1770, Studs 1845(C2). Site Master 1739-1845 SHR (pine) (t = 9.3 ME024; 7.1 ME016; 5.4 NH003; 4.9 ME018).
This one-story frame building, with garret under a gabled roof, is oriented north-south. Framing methods and nail types, along with documentary evidence, suggests that the building was constructed between the 1830s and early 1850s, according well with the tree-ring date of 1846. Two rooms on the first floor share a central chimney of sandstone, and each room has a ladder stair to the garret. Dendro-provenancing suggests the white pine studs and rafters originated from around Maine.
Miles, D W H and Worthington, M J, 2009 ‘The Tree-Ring Dating of Eight Virginia Slave Buildings’, unpublished ODL archive report 2009/05.
The Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory provides cutting-edge commercial dendrochronological services to homeowners, architectural historians, and cultural resource managers. READ MORE
Oxford Tree-Ring LaboratoryProprietors
25 E. Montgomery St.
Baltimore, MD 21230